About Iyorchia Ayu
Iyorchia Ayu was born on 15 November 1952 in Gboko, Nigeria. Iyorchia Ayu’s age as of 2021 is 68 years. Iyorchia Ayu was born and raised in Gboko, Nigeria by his parents. Iyorchia Ayu is currently living in Nigeria.
Dr Iyorchia Ayu, is the newly national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, who emerged by consensus early Sunday 31st of October, Dr Iyorchia Ayu is not a greenhorn in Nigerian politics. Dr Iyorchia Ayu is a former lecturer in sociology and a Marxist, the 69 year-old politician understands Nigeria and its politics.
Sometimes he makes accurate predictions about the direction of the country in the dialectic struggle between the forces of change and conservatism.
Iyorchia Ayu Biography & Wiki
- Birth Name: Iyorchia Ayu
- Stage Name: Iyorchia Ayu
- Nick Name: Iyorchia
- Birth Place: Gboko, Nigeria
- Profession: Till date Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee
- Nationality: Nigerian
- Date Of Birth: 15 November 1952
- Age: 68 years
- Zodiac Sign: Aries
- Religion: Christianity
- Gender: Male
- Ayu is a son of Tivland, born in Gboko in Benue state 15 November 1952.
Dr Iyorchia Ayu Education
Iyorchia Ayu completed his graduation in Exercise Physiology at The Ohio State University. Iyorchia Ayu completed his school studies in a primary school in the village. After that, he went to Mount Saint Gabriel Secondary School, Makurdi. After that, he studied in Saint John or St. Joseph School, Kaduna. Iyorchia Ayu attended Ahmadu Bello University and then he attended the University of Leicester, England where he completed his Ph.D.
Dr Iyorchia Ayu later became a Marxist academic at the university. He taught students sociology and the science of Marxism. Dr Iyorchia Ayu was a radical activist and member of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)
Dr Iyorchia Ayu was the Chairman of the Jos University chapter of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)
Iyorchia Ayu Family
Iyorchia Ayu was born on 15 November 1952 in Gboko, Nigeria in a Christian family. I am the second of nine children. Iyorchia Ayu’s father married two women from the first wife he has five children while his second wife has four children. From his first wife, there are three boys and two girls. His elder daughter is a lawyer but she doesn’t practice law; she is into fashion, second daughter Shima is a building engineer and there are twins after her; a boy and a girl. The girl is a developmental economist and consults for companies. The boy is also an economist, though he is more into finance. The last born child studied Business Administration but he is into music.
Iyorchia Ayu Career
Dr. Iyorchia Ayu is a well-known Nigerian politician who is a new chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee. Iyorchia Ayu was a former Nigerian Senator. Iyorchia Ayu started his political career in 1992. From 1999 to 2007 he served in the Ministerial positions in the Cabinet of President Olusegun Obasanjo.
Iyorchia Ayu Early Life
Iyorchia Ayu was born on 15 November 1952 in Gboko, Nigeria, and in 2021 his age is between 68 years. Iyorchia Ayu was a very good student in his school. From childhood, he has been interested in politics and he wants to do something for his country.
Dr Iyorchia Ayu Political Career
- Iyorchia Ayu was elected Senator in 1992 as a member of the Social Democratic Party, in the short-lived Third Republic under the Babangida administration. He later became senate president.
- As Senate president, he was impeached and replaced by Ameh Ebute.
- During the Abacha years, Ayu also served as minister for education from January 1994 to February 1995. He was replaced by the controversial Alhaji Wada Nas.
- Ayu was part of moves to end Abacha military rule.
- During the transitional period to civilian rule, Ayu was part of the campaign to elect Olusegun Obasanjo as president in 1999.
- Dr Iyorchia Ayu was appointed Industry Minister by Obasanjo. He served between 1999 and 2001
- Dr Iyorchia Ayu later went on to serve as minister of internal affairs, from June 2003 to 2005. The National ID card project began during his tenure.
- He was also briefly minister of the environment between June 2005 and December 2005.
- He soon fell out with Obasanjo and was dismissed from office without explanation.
- Dr Iyorchia Ayu left the PDP and joined the Action Congress (AC) formed by Bola Tinubu, his former ally in the Senate.
- Dr Iyorchia Ayu was head of the campaign to elect Vice President Atiku Abubakar as president on the AC platform in April 2007.
- In February 2007, Ayu was arrested and later arraigned by a Federal court on charges of terrorism. He was later released on bail.
- Dr Iyorchia Ayu later rejoined the PDP after Atiku also returned.
- Dr Iyorchia Ayu along with Atiku was a founding member of the All Progressives Congress. He also quit to return once again to PDP.
- Dr Iyorchia Ayu, an Atiku supporter, was opposed to Muhammadu Buhari’s emergence as President in 2015 and revealed his warning to Tinubu, years later.
Iyorchia Ayu Marital Status
Iyorchia Ayu married two women and has nine children, five from his first wife and four from his second wife.
Iyorchia Ayu Net Worth
Iyorchia Ayu is a well-known Nigerian politician who is a new chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee. His net worth is $2 Million (approx)