On Saturday, March 11th, 2023, the Ballroom nightclub in Otigba Junction, Enugu, became the site of a devastating fire. According to reports, the blaze began around 1 pm, during the club’s preparations for the evening’s activities.
Eyewitnesses have reported that the fire quickly spread throughout the club, causing considerable property damage and forcing patrons to evacuate.
Despite the best efforts of club staff and three fire engines from the state fire service, the flames continued to rage, engulfing other parts of the building. Patrons who had parked their vehicles on the premises were also forced to abandon them. Fortunately, no injuries were reported, although the fire caused millions of naira in property damage.
One patron who witnessed the incident stated that a staff member was the first to notice the fire and sounded the alarm. The club’s fire alarm was then activated, and patrons quickly fled to safety.
However, as workers attempted to extinguish the flames, they discovered that the fire was spreading from the interior of the building. The club manager then called the local fire service, which arrived promptly to tackle the blaze.
The state’s chief fire officer, Engr. Okwudili Ohaa, confirmed the incident and stated that he and his team acted quickly to prevent further damage. It is unclear at this time what the exact cause of the fire was, but eyewitnesses have speculated that it may have been caused by an electrical malfunction.
In an official statement released shortly after the incident, the Ballroom Club management acknowledged the fire and attributed it to an electrical breach. They expressed gratitude that no one was hurt and assured the public that the fire had been fully extinguished.
They also indicated that the club would remain closed until Thursday, March 16th, to assess the damage caused by the fire. After the assessment was complete, the club’s management indicated that they would resume all club activities.
The Ballroom nightclub is a popular spot for fun-seekers in Enugu, and news of the fire has generated significant interest on social media platforms.
Many people have expressed relief that no one was hurt and have praised the prompt response of the state fire service. Others have expressed sadness at the loss of property and are hoping for a swift recovery for the club. The cause of the fire is likely to be the subject of ongoing investigation.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings